Monday, August 13, 2007

Tropics getting active...

Tropical Depression 4 formed way out in the atlantic and is at least 10 days from the gulf. A lot of the models are bringing into the Gulf and making landfall anywhere from mexico to Florida. This will likely be tropical storm dean later today or tomorrow. This system will have the potential to be a major hurricane whereever it makes landfall. Something to watch.

There is also a disturbance between Cuba and the Yucatan that is rapidly becoming more organized and a tropical depression is likely tonight or tomorrow. Most models have this becoming a strong tropical storm or a weak hurricane making landfall in the middle texas coast. This system could help the one in the atlantic to not explode once it hits the gulf as it takes energy out of the GOM.

8 comments:

The Mosiers said...

Time for the fun to begin...

Shel Winkley said...

So I talked with my news director today...

..if anything hits the texas coast..they want to send me down hopefully and find a way to connect it back to the panhandle. Id have to go with a photographer for the actual storm to get footage in it but then meet up with the satellite truck after things clear a little. So best case scenario..maybe make land fall in or around houston and then get to meet up/stop for a night in College Station...either way I'm pumped if things fire up and I get to go!

I talked about Flossie and everything going on in the atlantic today on air..by far the most fun ive had so far.

Nick H said...

thats cool...looks like a possible tropical storm making landfall south of corpus. would you go there?

Alicia said...

yeah.....so storm not looking to hit anything anymore. 12z had it hitting New York and 18z has it just curving out into the Atlantic. Damn. I wanted it to come to Texas.

Nick H said...

Tomorrows runs will probably be totally different, but not just the gfs has it curving

Shel Winkley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shel Winkley said...

tropical storm dean baby...

We were watching CNN at work...they predicted it to hit between Corpus and Houston...what they used to decide that I have no idea..but they basically called out the NWS and said they were wrong about their forecast track on air.

The Mosiers said...

Latest GFS has landfall in that area but its like 11 days out. A lot could happen then, but I don't think its going to curve out. Bermuda High looks fairly strong which should steer it into the Caribbean.